John E. B. Myers on Suggestibility - Dictionary of Arguments
Slater I 105
Suggestibility/Myers: MyersVsBruck, MyersVsCeci: 1) there is a „spin“ in Ceci & Bruck’s (1993)(1) review that has a potential to damage legitimate efforts to protect children. Their examples are not numerous enough. Ceci and Bruck’s articles convey an unnecessarily pessimistic picture of the child protection system and children’s credibility. (Myers 1995)(2)
2) Ceci and Bruck (1993)(1) seem to go out of their way to devalue any research that emphasizes children’s strengths.
3) Ceci and Bruck (1993)(1) and the Ceci and Bruck Social Policy Report articles are not impartial reviews of the literature.
VsMyers/CeciVsVs/BruckVsVs: see Ceci, Bruck, & Rosenthal, 1995(3), for a response to Myer’s critique.
>Suggestibility/psychological theories, >Suggestibility/social psychology, >Suggestibility/Ceci/Bruck.
1. Ceci, S. J., & Bruck, M. (1993). The suggestibility of the child witness: A historical review and synthesis. Psychological Bulletin, 113, 403–439.
2. Myers, J. E. B. (1995). New era of skepticism regarding children’s credibility. Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 1, 387–398.
3. Ceci, S. J., Bruck, M., & Rosenthal, R. (1995). Children’s allegations of sexual abuse: Forensic and scientific issues: A reply to commentators. Psychology, Public Policy and Law, 1, 494–520.
Kelly McWilliams, Daniel Bederian-Gardner, Sue D. Hobbs, Sarah Bakanosky, and Gail S. Goodman, „Children’s Eyewitness Memory and Suggestibility. Revisiting Ceci and Bruck’s (1993) Review“, in: Alan M. Slater & Paul C. Quinn (eds.) 2012. Developmental Psychology. Revisiting the Classic Studies. London: Sage Publications_____________Explanation of symbols: Roman numerals indicate the source, arabic numerals indicate the page number. The corresponding books are indicated on the right hand side. ((s)…): Comment by the sender of the contribution. Translations: Dictionary of Arguments The note [Author1]Vs[Author2] or [Author]Vs[term] is an addition from the Dictionary of Arguments. If a German edition is specified, the page numbers refer to this edition.
|Myers, John E. B.
Alan M. Slater
Paul C. Quinn
Developmental Psychology. Revisiting the Classic Studies London 2012